daid kahl wrote:
>> 2009/11/25 Helmut Jarausch <jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> on one of several machines and only occasionally
>>> my X-server (/usr/bin/X) takes nearly 100% CPU.
>>> I have killed some applications but this didn't help
>>> unless I killed X itself and restarted it.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to find out what is hogging my X server?
>>>

> Another thing worth note is what version of the kernel you are running
> versus how updated X is.  I noticed when I migrated to libxcb under a
> 2.6.27 kernel that X starts running much more slowly for strange cases
> (like when audio is running, for example, X hogs the processor).
>
> I don't have a lot of insight as to how to determine which program
> makes X run hot, except for running very few things in X and starting
> a program and keeping an eye on something like top.
>
> But, in any case, another solution may be to keep the kernel updated
> if you are running the latest X software.
>
> ~daid

What is the process that causes the trouble? After the latest update I
also found my KDE to be under high cpu load. The offending process was
kwin. After some googling I found that switching off Vsync could help
me. This option is in System Setting -> Desktop -> Advanced Options.
That helped in my case.
Hope, that can help.