Hey!

> So do people type in Busingen different ways depending on how they
> feel, do some people always leave off the umlaut, do some always use
> it?

You cannot simply leave the umlaut out since it is considered as a separate
letter for itself. You cannot choose whether to write an "ö" or an "o". Like
Renat said, there are words that completely change their meaning when
exchanging the characters.

I think this is especially true if it comes to names. While people get used to
spellings like "Goettingen" for Göttingen, it looks odd and wrong to Germans.
Like someone who doesn't have the character on the keyboard ;)
Also keep in mind that there are cities that are spelled with "oe" or "ae" by
design. (Soest, Oelde, Aerzen, Oestinghausen etc.) Those cannot be spelled
with an "ö" instead. It would simply be wrong.

Patrick