Just did a stage 3 install following a HD crash on a new HD.  The initial
install went without issue and I booted from the HD normally.  I then went
through and installed a bunch of packages - xorg, kde, etc.  I installed
genkernel, compiled a custom kernel, and updated /boot/grub/menu.lst.

Upon rebooting, I ended up at a grub command line.  I can setup the hard drive
without errors:

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  17 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
 Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+17 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2
/boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
Done.

No errors, says everything's good.  Reboot and I'm right back at the command
line.

I can do

root (hd0,0)
kernel = /vmlinuz-blah
boot

and boot into the system, so I know the system and hd0,0 is bootable.  (I'm
writing this message on it after doing the above.)

There are three hard drives in the system.  I've verified that the BIOS is set
to boot from the first hard drive, which grub sees as hd0.  I've also, just to
test it out, setup grub on hd1 and hd2, with hd0,0 set as root.  I still get
the same thing.

Grub package version 0.97-r9 installed.  /boot is mounted to sda1, an ext2
partition.  / is mounted to sda3, an ext3 partition.

I'm not seeing any error messages on bootup or in grub.  I have no idea where
to go with this and so far, web searches haven't been helpful.  Anyone have a
clue?

--
"Governments are suspicious of literature because it is a force that eludes
them." - Emile Zola