Hey, Gentoo,

I'm just attempting to learn a little Perl and write a little Perl program.

I have been experimenting with the Getopt::Long module, which seems to be
working fine, but I'm considering Getopt::Tabular instead.

So I thought I'd search portage for "Getopt", to see if that is readily
provided by Portage, or otherwise which modules are:

$ eix -c -C perl Getopt
[N] dev-perl/Getopt-ArgvFile (1.11): This module is a simple supplement to
other option handling modules.
[N] dev-perl/Getopt-Long-Descriptive (~0.083): Getopt::Long with usage text
[N] dev-perl/Getopt-Mixed (1.10): Getopt::Mixed is used for parsing mixed
options
[N] dev-perl/MooseX-Getopt (~0.26): A Moose role for processing command line
options
[N] perl-core/Getopt-Long (2.38): Advanced handling of command line options
Found 5 matches.
$

Yet none of them, not even the Get::Long package that I've been experimenting
with, are installed on my system:

$ eix -c -C perl Getopt -I
No matches found.
$

Can anyone explain, please, why this appears not to be installed? Yet how it's
working just fine?

It looks like a simpler options parsing module is installed, but not this one:

$ locate GetOpt
/usr/share/man/man3/Tcl_ChannelGetOptionProc.3.bz2
/usr/share/doc/perl-5.8.8-r8/html/lib/Pod/Perldoc/GetOptsOO.html
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/Pod/Perldoc/GetOptsOO.pm
$

Further evidence that Getopt::Long seems to be working on this system is that
it's used by get_iplayer, which has been working well on this system for the
last 3 weeks or so:

$ grep -i Getopt  `which get_iplayer`
use Getopt::Long;
        search          => [ 1, "search=s", 'Search', '--search <search term>',
"GetOpt compliant way of specifying search args"],
use Getopt::Long;
        # Build hash for passing to GetOptions module
        Getopt::Long::Configure("bundling");
                Getopt::Long::Configure("pass_through");
                Getopt::Long::Configure("no_pass_through");
        return GetOptions(%get_opts);
$

get_iplayer can be examined at http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer/get_iplayer
in case I'm misunderstanding its usage.

I feel really dumb - there must be something simple & logical that I'm missing
here.

Stroller.