On Mon, 2009-12-28 at 00:27 -0600, Dale wrote:
> William Kenworthy wrote:
> > On Sun, 2009-12-27 at 20:45 -0600, Dale wrote:
> >
> >> Marcus Wanner wrote:

... trim ...

> > The minimal system should be quicker and simpler to update than a crufty
> > system - and if you have to update much of gnome and the like,
> > updating/reinstalling might take longer than building from scratch
> > anyway (going by my last update to gnome :)
> >
> > BillK
> >

> I should also add that I use KDE.  So, updating all that takes time plus
> if there are packages with "issues" then that adds to the grief.  It
> appears that it depends on just what you have installed.  If it is a
> bare system, then it may not be to bad.  If it is a full blown KDE like
> mine, then that could take a really long while.  Of course, portage has
> been a lot better at handling blocks here lately too.  There are
> exceptions and they always confuse the heck out of me but it is a lot
> better.  That should shorten the update time for a lot of packages.
>
> Maybe a 'emerge -ep world | genlop -p' would be in order here.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Thats why I think removing gnome (or kde) is a good idea - replace with
a lightweight desktop so you still have the required functionality.  it
is for emergency use after all.  I find that building from scratch is
usually less of a problem than large updates as blocks and problems seem
to occur less often.  So it is feasable to spend overnight installing
gnome/kde if need be as you still have a usable system in the meantime -
may not be as nice as kde, but it will still get the job done.