On Monday 28 December 2009 06:49:14 Andrew Lowe wrote:

>       Thank you gentlemen for your replies. Setting DISPLAYMANAGER to kdm in
> /etc/conf.d/xmd it will be then. My confusion comes from there being
> posts suggesting this method, others setting XSESSION in
> /etc/env.d/90xsession, things mentioning /etc/X11/sessions and so on.
> I've still got my training wheels on so it can be a bit confusing at times.

The XSESSION environment variable is to be used when you want a different
Window Manager or Display Environment to load as a default.  So you would for
example set XSESSION=openbox, or fluxbox, or xface, etc.  Since you just want
KDE and the kdm Display Manager knows where to find your KDE4 Display
Environment and load it, setting up the XSESSION variable is not necessary -
although it would cause no harm.

HTH.
--
Regards,