On Tuesday 29 December 2009 00:21:55 Gmail wrote:
> Hi all,
> My laptop runs KDE4 fine without x11-base/xorg-x11 installed. Should we
> install x11-base/xorg-x11 if desktop environments such as KDE4, GNOME,
> or XFCE4 are used?
>
> Happy New Year
> Hung

Not necessarily.

xorg-x11 is a meta package that DEPENDS on other things needed for an X
session. You obviously have everything you need for an X session, how
otherwise would you be able to run KDE4? (assuming you are not exporting X).

Normally it is advisable to install xorg-x11 so as to take advantage of
updated DEPENDs etc etc. But it's not a must, it's actually a question only
you can answer for you.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com