On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:43:58 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Using only the current setup, that is, one with hal and dbus installed
> and one that does not use xorg.conf... and apparently does not use
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d either... since that directory is not present.
>
> But yet an X display happens when I type `startx', apparently
> generated somewhere automatically.
>
> What I'm asking is where does one make customizations to that auto
> generated process... something is doing it.. some file or something is
> involved... but what and where?

xorg.conf. X queries your hardware for any settings not given in
xorg.conf. This information is not stored anywhere, it is read from your
hardware each time you start X. If you want to override anything, put it
in xorg.conf. If you want to see what settings X comes up with, run X
-configure and look at the xorg.conf file it creates.

--
Neil Bothwick

SITCOM: Single Income, Two Children, Oppressive Mortgage