On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Iain Buchanan <iai...@netspace.net.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 19:08 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:09 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > How does memory get reported up to the kernel? Is that something in
>> > the kernel (i.e. - choosing the proper chipset support or something)
>> > or is it purely the return from some sort of BIOS call? If so can it
>> > be tested or circumvented to get the machine to recognize everything
>> > I've put in?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Mark
>>
>> A very simple test - booting from an old Gentoo install CD - shows 2GB
>> - so apparently it's a kernel config issue.
>
> High Memory Support to be precise :)  In your case CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
> should do.
>
> Processor Type And Features
> => High Memory Support
>   => off / 4Gb / 64Gb
>
> --
> Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>

Hi Iain,
   That was already set unfortunately:

dragonfly linux # cat .config | grep CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
dragonfly linux #

   Being that it's an Intel chipset here's the INTEL specific stuff:

dragonfly linux # cat .config | grep INTEL
CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
CONFIG_CPU_SUP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_X86_MCE_INTEL=y
CONFIG_MICROCODE_INTEL=y
# CONFIG_MOXA_INTELLIO is not set
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_INTEL=y
CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INTEL=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_INTELHDMI=y
# CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0M is not set
# CONFIG_INTEL_IOATDMA is not set
# CONFIG_INTEL_MENLOW is not set
# CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C_INTEL is not set
dragonfly linux #

   I'm running up against one other thing. I haven't really worked on
this machine for awhile. Currently the disks are showing up as
/dev/hda and I thought with newer kernels they were supposed to be
/dev/sda. With my newest 2.6.32-gentoo-r1 it seems to be trying to be
/sda, but with 2.6.32-gentoo it's coming up /hda. Bottom line question
- can I dual list /dev/hda7 and /dev/sda7 in my fstab file so that
which ever one I boot at least it finds something?

   Still looking for the cause of this missing memory.

   Thanks!

>From a California downpour tonight,
Mark