On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Crístian Viana
<cristiandei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> so you set VIDEO_CARDS="vesa"? just that? and INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard
> mouse"? I'm using "virtualbox" on both variables and it's not working. I'll
> try that as you said.
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 3:01 AM, Xi Shen <davidshe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:27 AM, Crístian Viana
>> <cristiandei...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > hi!
>> > I'm running Gentoo inside VirtualBox (on a Windows host, if that
>> > matters)
>> > and I can't make X.org work. when I try "X -configure" it says it can't
>> > load
>> > the vboxvideo library. according to some Google searches, that library
>> > really doesn't work with the newest X.org. if that's really true, is
>> > there
>> > currently any combination of VirtualBox/X.org/Gentoo libraries to run
>> > X.org
>> > inside VirtualBox?
>> > I'm running ~x86, so now I have =x11-base/xorg-server-1.7.4,
>> > =app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-3.1.0 (running at boot),
>> > =x11-drivers/xf86-input-virtualbox-3.1.0 and
>> > =x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-3.1.0. when I run "X -configure", the
>> > error log shows:
>> > List of video drivers:
>> >         vboxvideo
>> > dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vboxvideo_drv.so: undefined
>> > symbol:
>> > resVgaShared
>> > (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vboxvideo_drv.so
>> > (EE) Failed to load module "vboxvideo" (loader failed, 7)
>> > any hep would be appreciated.
>> > thanks!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]
>> >

>> maybe you can start the X without using the vboxvideo driver. that is
>> what i did. actually i did not know we have a vboxvideo driver, so i
>> just used the vesa, and it works very well. i can even enable the 3d
>> acceleration and play with compiz fusion ;)
>>

>> --
>> Best Regards,
>> David Shen
>>
>> http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
>> http://meme.yahoo.com/davidshen84/
>>

> --
> Crístian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]

yes, just VIDEO_CARDS="vesa" and INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse". and
have you installed the vbox additions? i had trouble when emerge the
vbox specific drivers from gentoo portage. so i just install the
binary from the vbox iso. and the installation tool will install the
vboxvideo for you. and the X -configure can find it. but i did not
notice any advantage using the vboxvideo driver. the 'vesa' driver
works very well even with compiz fusion.