On 01/21/2010 06:09 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:06:34 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

I'm no expert on PAM, but I've seen it used on every linux
distribution that I've tried over the years. In the case I just
described, I used it so I can identify myself with my ssh key, which
is much more secure than a password. So, in general, pam is used to
set security policy for how users can log in, change their passwords,
etc. I'm not sure how I would have added ssh key authentication
without pam. It's a good question.

Well, all of this is still working here without PAM, including keys
(I've set that option in the config file of the ssh deamon, not PAM.)

I read this that walt is using SSH keys ( on a USB stick?) for local
login, which would be best done with PAM. SSH login with keys is handled
by SSH itself.

Oh, don't know if it's possible on local login. Anyway, I was just curious. PAM and ConsoleKit were two things that got installed by default (desktop profile) and I couldn't even find a use for them, so I removed both and didn't see any difference, so I was just wondering what they were good for in the first place :P