On 22 Jan 2010, at 14:41, Joseph wrote:

> On 01/22/10 10:43, Stroller wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't understand what kind of explanation you expect, just emerge squid
>>> iptable (make sure kernel has the correct entries compiled IN) and type
>>> those commends in at the command line; read the post above some other users
>>> clearly suggested what to type at the command line :-)
>>>
>>> It just works! I stated my objectives and I accomplished them.
>>
>> Maybe I'm being very dumb. I assumed a situation of router A, with Squid
>> running on server B. The office staff are using browsers on client machines
>> X, Y & Z. When a user on machine X browses to a website, his PC sends the
>> packet to router A. The packet never reaches server B in order to be
>> intercepted by B. We can configure B as the proxy in the browser settings of
>> X, Y & Z, but then that no longer needs iptables configuration or
>> interception mode.
>>
>> I'm not trying to argue with you, BTW. I'm just trying to learn from you.
>>
>> Stroller.
>
> I'm not an expert with iptables but since you have multiple machine on your
> network your best option is to configure single machine to run squid on it
> and forward the traffic to it. You have to tell us your setup, what kind of
> equipment you have, it it a small firewall/router from store you build it etc.
> How the traffic flow, I might suggest something.
> I think in your situation best option would be if router A runs squid if
> possible; if not router A intercept all packets from X,Y,X and sends them to
> squid B machine, B process the traffic and send it back to router A (rotter A
> forward all traffic from squid B to Internet).

I'm not asking for help with my configuration, because it works just fine as it
is.

You asserted, I think, that Squid works in interception mode on a server with a
single NIC.

Is that server a router?

Does it filter for the benefit of other computers?

How do the other computers know to send packets to the server?

Stroller.