Hi,

Yesterday I faced a problem when trying to switch to baselayout2/openrc on a
machine with lvm and raid.

The scenario: Server has software raid with mdadm and lvm2 and is currently
mostly stable amd64. Root partition is on md1 and most other partitions (also
/usr, that might matter) on some lvm partitions.

I added baselayout, openrc and sysvinit to package.keywords (later also tried
with additionally adding lvm2, udev and mdadm, but that didn't change things)
and followed the migration guide at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

The system failed on boot. I think that the problem is that for some reason,
udev isn't starting correctly. It is in the sysinit runlevel.
The interesting part is probably
 * Populating /dev with ex/bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change
locale (de_DE.utf-8)
 * Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC] ...

Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.

Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.

 * Failed to set the system clock

 [ !! ]

I get a lot of more failures, raid and lvm isn't starting with errors. The
LC_ALL-warnings are polluting everything, but that shouldn't be an issue (?).

Any hints on what might be wrong?

--
Hanno Böck              Blog:           http://www.hboeck.de/
GPG: 3DBD3B20           Jabber/Mail:    ha...@hboeck.de