On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 13:08:26 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> > The Mi-Fi is self powered, so the laptop's power requirements are
> > exactly the same as when using any other wifi connection.
>
> but more than when just using 3G with you're wifi off I bet...  Not that
> I know how much power my wireless card uses.

The difference is minimal, either way. Cellular devices vary their power
requirements depending on signal strength, so it drains more in poor
signal areas. I know the Nokia N900 battery lasts longer when using wifi
than with 3G.

> >  It also has the
> > advantage that you can connect more than one computer through it.
>
> and the disadvantage that it's open to hackers... don't get me wrong - I
> looked at the mifi and it looks pretty cool ("about the size of eight
> stacked credit cards") I'm just saying...

Yes, but no more than any other access point using WPA. Less so really
because the range is much shorter that a normal AP.

> > You can send dbus messages from the command line you just need to know
> > what to send to put Evolution offline. Not using Evolution, I
> > wouldn't know, but you may not need dbus. At least with Claws, I can
> > just run "claws-mail --offline" to put the running instance in
> > offline mode.
>
> unfortunately "evolution --offline" opens a new instance of evolution
> and puts _that_ in offline mode...

:(

> Time to look at the source.

Or file a feature request.