On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 06:29:27PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
> Your replies are much appreciated as we're in an area of Linux about
> which I'm poorly informed.
>
> Output (below) of "rc-status sysinit" indicated devfs stopped, so I
> started devfs (which didn't change /dev/pt*), then restarted udev
> (which didn't affect /dev/pt*).

Right, but can you ssh in to the machine now (or open a terminal
emulator in X)?

/dev/pts is just the mount point for the devpts pseudo filesystem. In
modern versions of linux the pts devices are created on-the-fly when
requested (as opposed to other versions and some modern unixes where
there will be a fixed number of device nodes under /dev/pts or
equivalent). All that just goes to say that if /dev/pts is empty
right after you restart the devfs service, it is normal. A device file
should be created automatically now when userspace programs demand it.
(E.g. if you now ssh in, and if it succeeds, ls /dev/pts should show
one entry.)

Try it, let me know if the problem is still there.

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong                                     ww...@math.princeton.edu
         et vice versa   ~~~  I. Newton