Leon Feng <rainofch...@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> I'm running ~x86 on everything and latest version of gentoolkit (I
>> don't have gentoolkit-dev installed)
>>
>> I've emerged lafilefixer (thanks Steve) and ran
>>    lafilefixer --justfixit
>>
>> Then ran revdep-rebuild again.... it still finds  broken binutils so
>> I'm letting it `oneshot' the emerge.
>>
>> Was the expectation that running `lafilefixer --justfixit' would stop
>> revdep-rebuild from continuously finding a broken binutils?
>>
>> Or was I expected to run lafilefixer --justfixit  and then rebuild
>> binutils once more?
>>
>> In any case I did the later and now the oneshot has finished and a
>> rerun of revdep-rebuild again finds the same `broken' binutils....
>>
>> Apparently no progress has occurred..
>>
> Same here. I  am running ~x86 too.
> lafilefixer --justfixit and reemerged glibc do no work.
>
> I will try out the patch in bug 298651  soon.

Leon, sorry to be a lamer here but I didn't understand the patch or
even that there was an actual patch, after reading the long confusing
exchange on that bug report.

Did you come away with a semi-easily done patch?  If so can you
explain a bit about how its applied or maybe direct me to the part
that discusses an actual patch?

ps - have you see something detrimental happening if you just go ahead
and run like it is?