On 07.02.2010 20:46, Willie Wong wrote:
On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 07:21:20PM +0100, Shoka wrote:
I got stuck when trying to get the Intel Wireless 5300 device running.
I'm using the 2.6.31.gentoo-r6 kernel source and have tried several
configuration options for getting this driver to work.

The gentoo os is running on a lenovo x200 notebook.

It seems that the iwlagn module doesn't get compiled at all. When trying
to run "modprobe iwlagn" I get the message "Module iwlagn not found".
The device is properly recognized when using the Gentoo Live CD. There
it uses the iwlagn module. So it should be possible to configure the
kernel to do the same.
You said that the module didn't get compiled: did you configure the
kernel to include it?

I have found this forum post about configuring the 5300 device, but this
guy used the 2.6.30-gentoo-r6 kernel source and it looks like the kernel
config options in menuconfig have changed. I cannot find a kernel config
option called "Intel Wireless WiFi Next Gen AGN (iwlagn)".
If you are in menuconfig, you can always hit / to bring up the search
screen, and type in IWL as your search string.

In 2.6.31-gentoo-r9, go to

Device Drivers ->  Network device support ->  Wireless LAN ->  Wireless
LAN (IEEE 802.11) ->  Intel Wireless Wifi

to enable IWLWIFI first, and then you should be able to see the
Wireless WiFi Next Gen AGN option.

Cheers,

Hi Willie,

I finally found the problem: I had to enable the option

General Setup
[ ] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers

I recognized that after invoking a search on "iwlwifi". There was a dependency to "EXPERIMENTAL". And this is exactly the mentioned switch above.

After selecting this option, I was able to select the "Intel Wireless" stuff.

Thanks to all for giving hints into the right direction :-)

Shoka