On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Valmor de Almeida <val.gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>>    This has been helpful for me. I'm glad Valmor is getting better
>> results also.
> [snip]
>
> These 4k-sector drives can be problematic when upgrading older
> computers. For instance, my laptop BIOS would not boot from the toshiba
> drive I mentioned earlier. However when used as an external usb drive, I
> could boot gentoo. Since I have been using this drive as backup storage
> I did not investigate the reason for the lower speed. I am happy to get
> a factor of 8 in speed up now after you did the research :)
>
> Thanks for your postings.

Thanks for the info everyone, but do you understand the agony I am now
suffering at the fact that all disk in my system (including all parts
of my RAID5) are starting on sector 63 and I don't have sufficient
free space (or free time) to repartition them? :) I am really curious
if there are any gains to be made on my own system...

Next time I partition I will definitely pay attention to this, and
feel foolish that I didn't pay attention before. Thanks.