On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 11:27:32 +0100, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 21:17:08 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:

  My solution to simplify Gentoo...

waltd...@d531 ~ $ cat /etc/portage/package.mask
sys-libs/pam
sys-apps/dbus
sys-apps/hal

That's as much crippling as simplifying. You can do without pam and hal
by setting appropriate USE flags (I run pam-free here by
doing just that) but D-Bus provides a standard way for applications to
communicate with one another and removing it can stop your desktop
working as it should.

Really? I removed dbus from my system altogether and everything seems to be communicating fine. And according to this (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-810848-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html) a system should be able to communicate without dbus.

And an easy way to be pam, dbus, and hal free is just setting the right USE flags. I'd say it's easier than to make a package.mask file, if you haven't created one.

--
Zeerak