On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

>> Again, I cannot see the 0.22 gives me anything I care about but
>> there's no way to know until I commit to making the change.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>
> if everything works, why are you even bothering with updates? Why do you care
> at all that qt3 is going away?
>
> but as I told you, the solution is quickpkg.
>
> And for quickly deploying packages:
> buidpkg
> BINHOST.
>
> have a look at man emerge, man make.conf

Volker,
   Thanks. I've not used quickpkg before but it seems like a very good
short term solution.

   If I understand correctly I'd do something more or less like this?

1) quickpkg =qt-3.3.8xxxxxxx  This creates the binary package and
stores it in /usr/portage/package. I've done this step and the package
is there.

2) emerge -C =qt-3.3.8xxxxx to remove the original. Easy when I do it.

3) emerge -pvg =qt-3.3.8b-r2 to get it to use the quickpkg version

This all seems to work but it complains a bit about PORTAGE_BINHOST
not being set. As best I can tell that's only for using another
machine to get the binary? Is that true? Is seems from these commands
that it's finding the one I just made. Or is there a format for doing
this and pointing at a local directory?

firefly ~ # emerge -pvg =x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b-r2

Calculating dependencies  !!! PORTAGE_BINHOST unset, but use is requested.
... done!
[binary   R   ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b-r2  USE="cups ipv6 mysql opengl
-debug -doc -examples (-firebird) -immqt -immqt-bc -nas -nis -odbc
-postgres -sqlite -xinerama"

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall, 1 binary), Size of downloads: 0 kB
firefly ~ # emerge -pv =x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b-r2

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b-r2  USE="cups ipv6 mysql opengl
-debug -doc -examples (-firebird) -immqt -immqt-bc -nas -nis -odbc
-postgres -sqlite -xinerama" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
firefly ~ #

Thanks,
Mark