On 12 Feb, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> On Friday 12 February 2010 10:54:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> > Hi, Gentoo,
>
>> > My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
>
>> > The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst emerging
>> > the xfce window manager.  I "solved" this by emerging Openbox
>> > instead.
>
>> > Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox (yes, I
>> > know there's a binary for this).
>

>> everything you mention below is indicative of failing hardware,
>> especially RAM closely followed by PSU.
>
>> Swap them out with known good items and test thoroughly *before* doing
>> anything else.
>
> I hope you're not right here.  ;-)  The hardware is spanking brand new;
> so new, in fact, that it's still gleaming.
>
> Are there any handy utility programs around to test RAM exhaustively?

I have made good experience with sys-apps/memtester. If you have not
more than 4 Gb RAM, you can use the SystemRescueCD.
Otherwise the GRML64 RescueCD has a true 64 bit version of memtester.

I have made the experience that memtester finds errors more quickly than
memtest86+ .

Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch