On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> "source /etc/profile" at the top of the script often works.

@Neil:

Well, that does the trick!

But I don't understand why. In my initial post I withheld information in
order to be sure the focus wouldn't be on the Clojure program itself. I
withheld the fact that my failing program was only a slight variation on 4
other programs which all always worked both via cron and the commandline.
IOW, the restricted cron environment doesn't impact the other 4 programs.
Well, I'll happily put the source statement in and at some point try to
figure out what it adds to avoid the crash.

BTW, I love the quotations following your sig. Speaking of "source", are you
willing to reveal the source of these beauties?

@Alex, Alan:

Thanks for your contributions. I learned a few things as a result.