On Tuesday 09 March 2010 05:15:38 Roy Wright wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2010, at 10:54 PM, ubiquitous1980 wrote:
> > Roy, without being presumptuous, I would say that using D.E. (Desktop
> > Environment) tools for printing are not the best because of
> > inconsistency in layout and authentication problems.  My suggestion is
> > to open up your web browser and use localhost:631 in the address bar to
> > access CUPS and do it this way.  My line of reasoning is that you want
> > consistency, which is what you get with this method.  Printers
> > configured in this way are available in your chosen D.E.  In my
> > use-case, I have an HP usb printer which can connect via cat 6 cable and
> > I also use KDE 4.3.  I have configured the printer with CUPS via a web
> > browser and have few issues.
> >
> > I trust that helps.
> >
> > Damien
>
> I agree, but am wanting to give kde 4.4.1 a try at handling the printer
>  just to see if it can do it.  Currently the answer is either no or I
>  haven't found a required configuration change.

I would set it up using CUPS as Damien suggested and then KDE should pick up
the settings without any additional effort on your behalf - i.e. I would think
that the "server settings" would no longer be disabled (as long as you have
listen to more than the default 127.0.0.1 in cupsd.conf).

--
Regards,
Mick