On Wednesday 10 March 2010 15:50:33 Tanstaafl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I currently have 3 versions of automake installed (1.7.9-r1, 1.9.6-r3,
> and 1.10.2).
>
> emerge -pvuDN world shows an update available for each one, but, my
> question is, do I need all 3 versions?

Assuming you do not have those versions in world, the answer is:

yes

> 'equery depends automake' shows 44 packages, all depending on 1.10* or
> higher.

try running equery depends on a specific version or a SLOT.

equery lies through it's teeth. basically, it does a giant grep and tries to
format the output sensibly. Oftentimes, it doesn't succeed in the "sensibly"
department

> So, can I safely emerge -C the other 2 versions? Should I (does it even
> matter)?

No. The next emerge world will simply pull them back in. But they are build
depends so stuff won't stop working

You're first step though is to check for a dodgy world file with cruft in it.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com