On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Xi Shen <davidshe...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> thanks, i solved this problem without emerging the nvclock package. i
> guess it is a group and permission issue. i have my accounts joined
> these groups: disk wheel audio cdrom video usb users plugdev, and i
> can change the lcd brightness with the kde widget.

i further identified the cause, and it is the 'plugdev' group. if the
user (include root) is not a member of this group, you will not be
able to use the kde widget to change the brightness of the lcd. an
even wired issue i found is that, after you joined in the group, you
will have to restart the system. log off and log on takes no effect.

--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/