On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 01:55:30PM +0000, Mick wrote

> If you had not enabled framebuffer in your old kernel then I can't
> think how it would show up as enabled in your new kernel (as far as I
> know fb is not enabled by default on any kernels that I've ever built)

  I'm running textmode console as I type this message.  I can tell the
difference between the font in this mode, versus the dinky font when
booting from the install CD.  I was getting the dinky font like the
install CD, with a lot more than 80 columns across.

> > And there was a kernel panic because gentoo couldn't
> > find the boot device.
>
> Hmm ... so it's not just framebuffer but different filesystems perhaps?

  I've got a 400 megabyte / (/dev/sda5) and the rest of the disk is
ReiserFS, with bindmounts for /opt, /var, /usr. and /tmp.  Here is part
of my /etc/fstab...

/dev/sda5               /               ext2            noatime 0 1
/dev/sda7               /home           reiserfs        noatime,notail 0 2
/home/bindmounts/opt    /opt            auto            bind 0 0
/home/bindmounts/var    /var            auto            bind 0 0
/home/bindmounts/usr    /usr            auto            bind 0 0
/home/bindmounts/tmp    /tmp            auto            bind 0 0

  Part of the output from "cat /proc/config.gz | gunzip | less"...

#
# File systems
#
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS_SECURITY is not set
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XIP is not set
# CONFIG_EXT3_FS is not set
# CONFIG_EXT4_FS is not set
CONFIG_FS_MBCACHE=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=y
# CONFIG_REISERFS_CHECK is not set
# CONFIG_REISERFS_PROC_INFO is not set
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
# CONFIG_REISERFS_FS_SECURITY is not set
# CONFIG_JFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
# CONFIG_XFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_OCFS2_FS is not set
# CONFIG_BTRFS_FS is not set
CONFIG_FILE_LOCKING=y
CONFIG_DNOTIFY=y
CONFIG_INOTIFY=y
CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER=y
# CONFIG_QUOTA is not set
# CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS is not set
# CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS is not set
# CONFIG_FUSE_FS is not set

> With regards to your kernel panic I suspect an error in the .config
> file you copied over.  Do you keep a copy both in
> /usr/src/linux-gentoo-XXX/ and in /boot?  If yes then copy over your
> .config from a different location this time, otherwise you'll have to
> go about it through the manual method.

  I'll try "cat /proc/config.gz | gunzip > .config" and run oldconfig on
that instead.  And I'm running gcc-4.3.4, and it's the only gcc on my
system, and gcc-config agrees.

> PS.  Just checking the obvious:  you aren't manually patching your
> kernels and forgot to do it this time, right?

  Nope, nothing like that.

  PS, why isn't there a "gzcat" command in Gentoo?

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>