On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Harry Putnam <rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>> I've done this before but have lost my notes about I guess.
>>>
>>> I want to mount a device /dev/hdd7 so that my users can read/write
>>> freely there.
>>>
>>> This line, does not do it:
>>>
>>> grep hdd7 /etc/fstab
>>> /dev/hdd7  /home/reader/spool  reiserfs  noatime,exec,users,rw  0 2
>>>
>>> (using the singular `user' didn't help either.
>>>
>>> What is the syntax I need?
>>
>> Are the permissions set on /home/reader/spool (when mounted) so that
>> the users can read and write to it?
>
> ahhh no.  And I see doing that cures the problem, but how do I make
> this happen at every mount... is there syntax for fstab in the options
> column that take care of that or does it have to be scripted or something
> to get it to happen with every mount.  Maybe in the local.start init
> script.
>
> But I was under the impression this could be done with mount options.

It should survive unmount and remount. The mount options should only
control who is allowed to mount it, not who can use it once it is
mounted. (Filesystems that don't understand the concept of permissions
might have some mount option to force a certain umask but normal linux
filesystems don't need it)