Mick writes:

> In an aterm I launch top.  Then press z c and Shift+W.  I get:
>
>    Wrote configuration to '/home/michael/.toprc'

Cool. Didn't know about this yet.

> Fine I think, Ctrl+c to end it and move on.  Next time I fire up top,
> even from the same terminal, it's all looking white with no colour, no
> highlighting, or anything else.  Why is this?  This is what the
> contents of .toprc show:
> =================================
> Cfile for "top with windows"           # shameless braggin'
> Id:a, Mode_altscr=0, Mode_irixps=1, Delay_time=3.000, Curwin=0
>         fieldscur=AEHIOQTWKNMbcdfgjplrsuvyzX
>         winflags=64953, sortindx=10, maxtasks=0
>         summclr=1, msgsclr=1, headclr=3, taskclr=1
>         fieldscur=ABcefgjlrstuvyzMKNHIWOPQDX
>         winflags=62777, sortindx=0, maxtasks=0
>         summclr=6, msgsclr=6, headclr=7, taskclr=6
>         fieldscur=ANOPQRSTUVbcdefgjlmyzWHIKX
>         winflags=62777, sortindx=13, maxtasks=0
>         summclr=5, msgsclr=5, headclr=4, taskclr=5
>         fieldscur=ABDECGfhijlopqrstuvyzMKNWX
>         winflags=62777, sortindx=4, maxtasks=0
>         summclr=3, msgsclr=3, headclr=2, taskclr=3
> =================================
>
> Same thing happens in xterm and konsole.

Works here, in konsole and xterm.

My .toprc looks similar, but it has additional keywords Def, Job, Mem and
Usr. Are they missing in your .toprc, or did they get lost during
copy&paste? If I remove them, my top also looks like without .toprc.

=================================
RCfile for "top with windows"           # shameless braggin'
Id:a, Mode_altscr=0, Mode_irixps=1, Delay_time=3.000, Curwin=0
Def     fieldscur=AEHIOQTWKNMbcdfgjplrsuvyzX
        winflags=64953, sortindx=10, maxtasks=0
        summclr=1, msgsclr=1, headclr=3, taskclr=1
Job     fieldscur=ABcefgjlrstuvyzMKNHIWOPQDX
        winflags=62777, sortindx=0, maxtasks=0
        summclr=6, msgsclr=6, headclr=7, taskclr=6
Mem     fieldscur=ANOPQRSTUVbcdefgjlmyzWHIKX
        winflags=62777, sortindx=13, maxtasks=0
        summclr=5, msgsclr=5, headclr=4, taskclr=5
Usr     fieldscur=ABDECGfhijlopqrstuvyzMKNWX
        winflags=62777, sortindx=4, maxtasks=0
        summclr=3, msgsclr=3, headclr=2, taskclr=3

        Wonko