On 03/28/2010 04:02 AM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
> On 03/27/10 21:17, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> On 03/28/2010 02:40 AM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
>>> Some ffmpeg-using applications (e.g. mplayer) allow you to pass
>>> numbers of threads (e.g. I use 6 on my Core-I7) to ffmpeg; others
>>> (e.g. chromium) do not.
>>
>> First, mplayer uses its own bundled ffmpeg. It doesn't use
>> media-video/ffmpeg at all.
>>
>> Furthermore, this is not what the "threads" USE flag does for
>> ffmpeg.
>

> Thank you for replying!!!
>
> What would you guess the "threads" parameter is for ffmpeg? I've not
> found an explanation, and thought it might be the author catching up
> with Alexander Strange.
>
> <http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html>
The "normal" ffmpeg probably (just guessing here) uses threads for
asynchronous i/o, buffering etc..
ffmpeg-mt includes a H.264 codec that decodes (and encodes?) HD videos
with multiple threads. Maybe there are even more codecs that they have
multithreaded, and probably a lot of infrastructure code had to be
changed as well.

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887