FYi
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear colleagues,

As you may know, the recent decision by the Convention on Biological
Diversity has resulted in a de facto moratorium on ocean fertilization
experiments until the UN International Maritime Organization’s London
Convention can make a ruling on whether fertilization for commercial
purposes would be dangerous or illegal.  (see ioccp news at www.ioccp.org).
Unfortunately, this ruling made no distinction between experiments
designed to investigate commercial application and those for other
research purposes.

We would like to make a list of fertilization experiments that have
been canceled or put on hold as a result of this recent decision
(country, location, reason for experiment, status).  In order to make
this useful for the upcoming London Convention meeting and UN General
Assembly discussions, I need to have this information by Friday.  I
apologize for the short notice, and I will keep collecting information
as it arrives, but must provide a report by Friday.

Best regards,
Maria

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Maria Hood, Ph.D.
Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission UNESCO
1, rue Miollis
75732 Paris Cedex 15
Tel: +33 (0)1.45.68.40.28
Fax: +33 (0)1.45.68.58.12