John,

In attempting to move ahead politically, it is neither necessary nor
desirable that we speak with a unified voice.

I believe that I have had some limited impact in pushing forward a
publicly-funded climate engineering research and development program. (That
fact that no such program exists helps define what is meant by "limited".)

Insofar as I have been effective, I believe that calling for sober,
impartial assessment in the open, peer-reviewed literature -- advocating
research and development, while withholding advocacy for deployment until we
understand more -- has contributed to this effectiveness.

I think it would be counterproductive for me to advocate now for early
deployment, in large part because I do not think we really know how well
climate engineering will work. I am not just adopting a rhetorical posture
when I say that I believe climate energy may have the potential to reduce
overall risk, but we do not yet know if it would really deploy overall risk
(taking into consideration complex social and political systems as well as
the complexities of Earth's climate and chemical systems).

It is somewhat amusing to me that I am now being criticized from both sides:
criticized for advocating climate engineering research and development, and
criticized for not advocating it strongly enough.

To answer John Gorman's question: I do not seriously believe that we will
avoid serious consequences without geoengineering. It is just that I am not
sure that we will avoid serious consequences with geoengineering, either.

Nevertheless, I think the potential for risk reduction is great and that is
why we need to do the underlying science and technology development.

Best,

Ken

PS. I repeat a story (including embedded errors) that went out over the UPI
wire. I leave the reader to decide if I am being too milquetoast:

World needs CO2 emergency backup plan

LONDON, Nov. 11 (UPI) -- U.S. climate scientist Ken
Caldeira<http://www.upi.com/topic/Ken_Caldeira/>of the Carnegie
Institution has told the British Parliament the world needs
a carbon dioxide emergency backup plan.

In submitted testimony, Caldeira said while steep cuts in carbon emissions
are essential to stabilizing global climate, there also needs to be a backup
plan should emissions cuts be insufficient to stave off catastrophic
warming.

"Prudence demands we consider what we might do in the face of unacceptable
climate damage, which could occur despite our best efforts to rein in
greenhouse gas emissions," Caldeira said.

He said climate engineering, or geoengineering, refers to controversial
proposals to deliberately modify the Earth's environment to counteract
greenhouse warming. One plan would cool the planet by injecting dust into
the upper atmosphere to scatter incoming sunlight. Other possibilities
include enhancing cloud cover over the oceans.

"Science is needed to address critical questions, among them: How effective
would various climate engineering proposals be at achieving their climate
goals? What unintended outcomes might result? How might these unintended
outcomes affect both human and natural systems?" Caldeira asked.
"Engineering is needed both to build deployable systems and to keep the
science focused on what's technically feasible."

His testimony was heard Tuesday in the House of Commons.

[NOTE: It was Monday (10 Nov) before a Parliamentary Innovation,
Universities, Science & Skills Select Committee.]

--
Ken Caldeira

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://dge.stanford.edu/DGE/CIWDGE/labs/caldeiralab/

*** Please don't read this line of text unless you really need to ***