Hello John, Ken et al.,

I've always liked "climate restoration" because - though we'll never
achieve it precisely - it's what we're seeking, and is much less
likely to scare the pants off the public than the imperious
"geo-engineering".

But when we're trying to be as exact as possible my choice is "global
temperature stabilisation". It is, in principle, possible to hold the
Earth's average temperature (however it's defined) constant: whereas
we can't restore the climate to exactly as it was - at least with
current ideas & technology.

I think both these terms have their place: to be determined by circumstances.

Cheers,    John.