I would respond with two hopefully clarifying comments:

1. While there is a lot of focus on when the ice will be gone in summer,
this will have little effect on the weather as the surface temperature and
water availability are similar for no ice and melting ice. Indeed, more
solar is absorbed, but that does not significantly raise ocean temperatures.
What really matters is what happens in the fall into winter, because as long
as there is no ice or thin ice, there will be a lot of heat transport to the
atmosphere and so the near surface air cannot cool to ­40 C and so create
cold, dense air masses that spread out from the Arctic and influence weather
around the midlatitudes. With all the extra heat going up into the
atmosphere (the solar heat absorbed during the time with lower albedo), the
atmospheric circulation will be altered‹causing, as Jennifer notes, the
³large-scale influence on winter weather patterns over much of the northern
hemisphere.² So, while the retreat of summer sea ice is an easy metric, what
really affects the weather is the delayed formation of thick ice that can
insulate the atmosphere from the heat contained in the ocean.

2. On the characteristics of low clouds, I thought the intent was to raise
the albedo when the Sun was out, not to raise the IR emissivity. During the
polar summer one wants the clouds with a high albedo (once the surface
starts to melt and its albedo comes down to below that of low clouds). Then,
during the polar night, one would want to decrease the cloud emissivity so
the surface can more rapidly radiate to space (the clouds tend to retard the
cooling process that allows ice to form, as Jennifer notes).

Mike MacCracken