I dimly recall that tall trees lose sap transport capacity to
cavitation: the column of water in the tube of xylem cells is under
tension, with water being pulled up by evaporation rather than just
pushed up by active absorption of water in the roots, so whenever a
gas bubble forms in the wood it expands and persists.  There's no
mechanism to remove the bubbles; rather, the capacity is made up by
the growth of new wood around the outside.  So I would expect that a
log from a tall tree would float even when fresh, until it becomes
waterlogged, although it would be nowhere near as buoyant as kiln-
dried lumber.