Dear All,

I've said this before, but here goes again.

If one sticks to dictionary definitions of words (which I
think is wise) then there is no such thing as "runaway"
climate change. Strictly, using the words of Buzz Lightyear,
"runaway" must mean "to infinity and beyond".

Further, the word "runaway" is loaded and should be eschewed
in the climate context.

The confusion here is that what some people are calling
"runaway" climate change is really better referred to as
"irreversible" climate change. For instance, the sudden release
of a large amount of CH4 would possibly cause large warming
that would put the globe in a new state that was much warmer
than present. But the climate (or global-mean temperature) would
*not* runaway -- it would eventually stabilize. Even this change
would not strictly be irreversible, as the excess CH4 would
slowly be oxidized (more slowly than today because of the well
known positive feedback of CH4 on its own lifetime due to OH loss),
but a lot of the excess CH4 would slowly disappear and be replaced
by CO2 that has less forcing. This CO2 would, of course, stay
around for a long time.

If anyone is interested, this case can easily be run with MAGICC,
but some minor tweaks are needed to get the CH4 to CO2 flux right.
Conceptually trivial.

So, please, please try not to cry wolf with these loaded and sadly
oft-misused words.

Tom.