Dear Gene,

RE: About Conversion of Former Carbon Sinks to Methane Craters

About your statement to Geoengineering group:

"the global average surface temperature has been increasing for many thousands
of years, as much as 3 to 5 degrees C from the minimum of the last ice age, in
the face of no anthropogenic emission."

Over and over again Group B of Nations have been complaining that the ice age
associated sea level drop of 126 metres depressurised immense methane clathrate
fields on the Russian sea bed that must have released CH4 in copious amounts to
the atmosphere. These emissions were not anthropogenic GHGs, but millions of
years old fossil methane emissions, that all ended up in the air (until they
were gradually mopped up by the stable biosphere during the course of the early
Holocene).

This is the "Wally Broecker syndrome" that comes from the America: the ancient
carbon from thawing Arctic permafrost and the sunlight-exposed sea beds must
have released billions of tonnes of greenhouse gases when the sea levels fell
low enough to destabilise methane clathrate: this induced climatic warming
towards the ending of the last ice age.

I have seen 5,000 extra carbon-14 years appear in ancient texts written on
biomaterials that come from the northern Asia. It is to do with melting
permafrost releases of carbon-12 and carbon-13 while the cold oceans kept
mopping carbon-14 out of air. This squeezed the carbon-14 out from the
biomaterials to produce "10,000-year old writing" - total nonsense.

Wally Broecker and Stephen Mithen are totally simplistic in accounting the
effects of sea level drop and melting permafrost putting back into air fossil
carbon from destabilised former carbon sinks. Broecker and Mithen think that
stable Holocene like sea levels (=> stable sea floor pressurisations) prevailed
through LGM to keep old sea-floor methane locked out.

This is utterly wrong! The Arctic Ocean's sea floor is pock-marked by countless
methane clathrate craters that pumped carbon-12 and carbon-13 to air when
clathrate destabilised.

I have seen figures somewhere around 22,000 off-shore craters in the Arctic
Ocean that collapsed due to sea level drop and warming of sunlight exposed
former or shallow sea floor. The largest crater alone is 750 square kilometres
in area with considerable depth as well. There are many kilometre scale craters
that are volume-wise comparable to man made coal pits dotting the Earth that
have produced most GHGs since the onset of industrial age.

We can volumetrically count all holes and estimate how much methane they have
held until they all collapsed. None of the carbon that came out contained
carbon-14 which only survives shortly due to its half-life being just about
~5,770 years.

"the global average surface temperature has been increasing for many thousands
of years ... in the face of no anthropogenic emission. AGHG is not the only
factor influencing the surface temperature; only the one receiving the most
attention ... keeping the climate science community well supported."

In FIPC view the post-LGM warming resulted from the nature-built (&
well-tested) safety valve mechanism, methane clatrates, that prevented the
earth being flipped to full snowball earth from the point of the LGM due to the
greenhouse effect these carbon wells produced.

As Broecker wrongly discounts (or is unaware?) of carbon-14 dilution effect due
to fossil carbon emissions from the carbon wells (carbon-12 and carbon-13) from
melting permafrost and sea bed carbon wells (methane clatrahate, decaying
sediments). In conclusion, result is unhappy optimism and underestimation of
GHG gases like CH4 and CO2 to warm climate.

I think, your doubts on the effects of carbon dioxide and methane as driver of
the present climate change arise from this prevailing and unfortunate
misunderstanding in the West. The problem is that we all like to go with crowd,
and Broecker has done many good things, but he is not perfect and trusting too
much him or Mithen will take you to doubt very causes of the present day
climate change that is very dangerous anthropogenic warming.

The quantification of depleted geo-carbon emissions and resulting carbon-14
dilution since LGM are vitally important for us to understand how the Arctic
permafrost and sea bed methane clatrathes behave now as the renewed
(anthropogenic addition of old carbon) occurs in the climatic system. It does
not matter if the fossil carbon is man made or not.

Statistically the volume of lost methane ice should be studied to quantify what
was the amount of methane laden ice in the 22,000 craters and the amount of
silt decay on the sunlight exposed sea beds plus other melting permafrost at
the time LGM and after.

The sum cumulative carbon-14 dilution in biomaterials can be seen from old
texts that can be alternatively dated. I have good examples of 8,700 year old
radio carbon aged writings which cannot be older than 3,700 years because the
caligraphy of the letters of era is well known. It is equally unlikely that
people would have found 5,000 year old biomaterial to write on and then us
having the immense luck of finding just those items. My question is: How often
do you find 5,000 year old perishable materials to write on? So, its all back
to square one and the difference, 5,000 years, coming from the release of
geocarbon sources.

Because you have been following the ideas of Broecker or Mithen, you end up
doubting the role of GHG's (methane clathrate problem). During ice age, the
melt-back of ice sheets from LGM mitigated and controlled the size of methane
clathrate release driven GHG forcing, today we do not have that luxury unless
melting of ice sheets massively raise the sea level.

When, during the recent Podznan conference, His Excellency President Evo
Morales Ava and the Government of Bolivia draw attention to the simultaneous
disappearance of the Patagonian, Weischelian and Laurentide ice sheets despite
their large spatial separations of 10,000 kilometres and more, the position of
Group B of Nations remains that all ice may go.

Geoengineering can tilt the balance if it can be engineered to be stronger that
the GHG forcing feed and the possible curtailment if the sea floor pressures
increase and water temperatures drop if the ice sheets destabilise. In my short
life time I have seen the six large Antarctic Peninsula ice shelves to collapse
and remain awaiting Ronne and Ross to go next as the process seems to be
escalating there with ice shelves being lost ever faster.

I must also draw your attention to the large explosion in the North West
Passage last July. 2008/2009 winter was cold, but there are possibility that
sea has stored enough heat and more methane explosions occur, possibly
rendering some areas unsuitable for the ships.

This is Group B/FIPC/Indianice view about the warming of climate thousands of
years from the LGM and About Conversion of Former Carbon Sinks to Methane
Craters in Arctic Ocean.

Kind regards,

Albert