Hello All,

As JohnN says, marine cloud brightening is, in principle, a viable,
quantitatively adequate alternative to stratospheric seeding, and I think that
possibility should definitely be looked into.

However, Ken Caldeira has suggested an interesting variation, which is that
these two geoengineering schemes could perhaps be deployed in concert, the
stratospheric scheme providing a general cooling, and the cloud brightening
technique providing localised fine tuning, which is possible because not all
clouds need to be seeded, and judicious choices as to where to cool can
therefore be made. Such a combination (or perhaps cloud brightening alone)
could, for the above reasons, possibly ameliorate or eliminate the Amazonian
problem.

I should add that fully-coupled atomosphere/ocean GCM computations by Phil
Rasch and Jack Chen, indicate that the cloud brightening scheme produces its
maximum cooling in the Polar regions.

Cheers,   John.

--
John Latham

lat...@ucar.edu   &    john.latha...@manchester.ac.uk

Tel. 303-444-2429 (H)    &  303-497-8182 (W)