Remember, that crashing waves might well be an important factor to consider
in lifetime of the floating material. The approach has to limit evaporation,
not so much heat transfer, and it is a bit hard to see how one would cover
the waves in any sort of continuous way without a much larger amount than
just to cover smooth water with a thin layer. I might add that, as I
understand it, Kerry Emanuel actually did some experiments on doing this
sort of thing (with an organic fluid) 5-10 years ago, and did not find
success‹it is very likely a lot harder than it might seem.

Mike MacCracken