Dear Ken,

This scheme misses a basic fact. Power, not population, determines the course
of world politics. "International laws" cannot "allow" countries to do things
which they, in fact, cannot do. The system that you propose would, if I am
understanding it correctly, create and widely disperse a de jure right to
implement SRM. Implicitly, this is also a right to veto SRM. (If I
misunderstand your proposal, please correct me.)

If this dispersed veto right were promulgated, one can imagine that some states
might want to maintain or expand SRM and some might not. A bidding war for veto
rights might ensue. If, however, great powers on either side believed that
their vital interests were at stake, the population numbers and "legal" rights
would go right out the window. In such a case, a deal may well emerge. Since
the nuclear age, there have been many similar deals, explicit or implicit. In a
nuclear world, compromise makes mutual sense even when other goals clash. The
terms of such deals, though, are more likely to reflect asymmetries of power
and interest than some abstract formula.

Absent such a clash of great power interests, the scheme that you propose would
seem merely to raise the costs of deploying SRM. In a situation in which some
states wanted to deploy more SRM than that to which their "rights" entitled
them, they would buy rights from the corrupt dictators and oligarchs who run
many Third World governments. Such payments would further enrich the dictators
and their sex partners in the world's fleshpots, but granting the likes of
Robert Mugabe a formal voice in the control of SRM would do little for the
credibility of SRM's governance system. (It might be even more harmful to the
oppressed and abused people of Zimbabwe.)

In fact, for better or worse, real veto power over SRM already exists. The
great powers and even the richer middle states hold varying degrees of de facto
veto power over SRM. This power will persist - whatever the SRM global
governance zealots dream-up. The U.S., China, and Russia surely hold something
close to absolute vetoes over SRM. Japan, India, Britain, Germany, and perhaps
even France, command lesser, but non-trivial levels of influence. Within a few
decades, the time frame in which SRM deployment could become politically
realistic, Brazil, and maybe some other states, might gain similar status.

Arguably the dispersal of this de facto veto power may help to avoid SRM false
starts. In that one sense, it may foster long-term continuity. At the same time
the most obvious threat to continuity is that a great power could switch course
and decide that SRM radically harmed its vital interest. Extensive testing,
careful monitoring, and wide sharing of information about SRM seem like the
best defenses against this outcome. These are the things suggested in your
earlier post, and they sound like good ideas to me. In contrast to those
sensible thoughts, a scheme to widely disperse paper veto rights hardly seems
likely to help the situation.

Best regards,

Lee