>> "I am pretty sure the term is already included in models, and I don’t know
>> of any reason to think that it is increasing—certainly not in comparison to
>> the increased heat from the surface due to warming and the meltwater that in
>> flowing down into the ice sheet is carrying heat (i.e., meltwater) well down
>> into the ice and likely all the way to the base. <<

Hi,

In our models the disequilibrium between the West Antarctic Ice Sheet which is
losing weight, and the East Antarctic Ice Sheet that is gaining weight is
creating ice sheet balance disequilibrium. In our view, this raises ground
pressure under East Antarctica and decreases it under the West Antarctica. As
the volume beneath the East Anatrctica is under increased compressional
stresses, the displacement of liquids should drive these towards the West
Antarctica if suitable conduits and connectivity between areas exists. If so,
there should be volcanic activities increasing under the West Antarctic ice
sheet.

I have suggested that the Pine Island Glacier might be a recipient of displaced
volcanic liquids beneath its ice sheet as it has less pressure while the East
Antarctica has more and would have a tendency to drive out liquids from beneath
ground, if they can find way out. When volcanism under ice sheet melts ice
away, and the water drains to sea, more displaced volcanic rocks could move in
and melting of the ice sheet like Pine Island is very fast and could end up in
a sudden burst of lava flood.

In our UN complaint, one issue is the isostatic ground-carrying-capacity being
exceeded by ice accummulation (as in case of ice sheets there is a lack of
geological driver, tectonic uplift, to support accummulation of tall grounds).
When isostatic ground carrying capacity is exceeded, the base and grounds under
ice sheets rapidly sink down. This leads the periphery of ice sheet (where ice
is much thinner) starting to bulge out at the time when the
ground-carrying-capacity under the thicker parts of the ice dome have been lost
by excessive ground pressures. The interior subsidence of ice sheet creates a
temporary tectonic uplift on the thin edges of ice sheet. This according to
World Indigenous Nations' complaint, fed volcanic materials and caused the
'rapid ice age'. (The initial ice sheet was lost due to geothermal heat
penetration from crevasses within fractured bed rocks leading to Eemian
Interval. I do not elabore full view of the First Nations ideas of the fast ice
age.) Only in Antarctica which is very large area in size for glacier, the
middle was forced to bulge up generating Gamburtsev rise, while the pressure on
the edges were down. Greenland is smaller and its edges gave away just like in
Scotland, Norway and Kara Sea.

So, without taking the base heat discussion too much to the First Nations
complaints at the United Nations, I would like to point to the possibility that
the ice sheet mass balance can cause liquid displacements where there is
movement of equilibrium states.

Kr, Albert

I am pretty sure the term is already included in models, and I don’t know of
any reason to think that it is increasing—certainly not in comparison to the
increased heat from the surface due to warming and the meltwater that in
flowing down into the ice sheet is carrying heat (i.e., meltwater) well down
into the ice and likely all the way to the base.

Best, Mike MacCracken