Maybe we are talking about two different things then.

Maybe there should be one set of semi-realistic simulations for the CMIP5
modelers and another set of standard simple and idealized, but helpful,
reference simulations for people to do (as a courtesy to the community) if
they are planning to spend more time doing climate intervention simulations.

Frankly, even for the CMIP5 modelers, I think we would learn more from very
simple and idealized simulations that we would learn from complex
"realistic" simulations, although both are valuable.

Ken Caldeira

Carnegie Institution Dept of Global Ecology
260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305 USA

kcalde...@carnegie.stanford.edu
http://dge.stanford.edu/DGE/CIWDGE/labs/caldeiralab
+1 650 704 7212; fax: +1 650 462 5968