I can assure Dave Hawkins judgement on this particular subject is probably
true. Since 2005 I have been suggesting that the Arctic Ocean's sea ice cover
might destabilise by the end of this decade due to multiple impacts starting to
hit at ice increasingly as its thickeness and area gets ever smaller increasing
the ice mobility, wind speeds and wave sizes, albedo effect and warmer
weathers, increased Siberian runoff, overturning, wave penetration under the
ice, much easier and spatially larger compression of thin seasonalised ice into
pack ice, etc.  e

In 5th May 2006 I gave a presentation on the above idea that the Arctic Ocean
would be so shortly ice free and received an invitation to publish my
hypothesis in The Weather journal of the Royal Meteorological Society. So at
least one paper has surely bucked the trend. I can also remember the whole
front page article on the First News (newspaper) by Peter Wadhams that the
Arctic could be ice free by 2012.

I tend to inkline towards opinion of Dave Hawkins the scientific community is
not particularly afraid to publish controversial papers and new ideas. Even
more so, there are different papers such as New Scientist, which takes up more
controversial papers and promotes hypothetical ideas at earlier stages of
development. I just read a review that New Scientist is judged as world's most
successful science paper.

However, the sad truth is that it is entirely a different matter to give a
verbal commendation or backing to an eccentric or new paradigm, to get it
published in a paper from getting a pilot project funded. Verbal and printed
support to a cause does not take us very far unless the fund is forthcoming.
Real science and engineering can only be taken forward by research getting
funded, the architecht can draw a house with a pen and paper but if there are
no funds to get it built, is it then good architecture, or architecture at all.
Same with geoengineering.

We had yesterday the 17th anniversary of the World Indigenous Nations Summit's
investigation request to the United Nations General Assembly. Here we have a
whole new paradigm presented to the United Nations General Assembly by a major
body of world nations which never has had their view point investigated and the
whole matter has always stayed outside the perimeter of peer reviewed science.

I intend to keep it that way, and I will fund the experiments required whether
the First Nations case history will re-occur in Greenland, especially in the
post-sea ice conditions. If so, the ice sheet starts to float on its own melt
water so much so that it looses suddenly its footing on the elevated terrain
and the resulting ice sheet thrust of the sliding forces a major "2012"-style
land slip to let the ice out. This is followed by "A Day After Tomorrow"-style
event called the Last Dryas as hundreds of millions ice bergs suddenly occupy
the Atlantic.

Science is beautiful because it is a pure common sense. Whatever the perceived
or real opposition of prophets of the established Western conventions, the
perceived point of this warned cascade of Greenland's icy contents will happen
at its weakest point: Melville Bay. So be it. Therefore, we fly in by
helicopter to install GPS monitoring equipment that measures the coastal
barrier to accuracy of 0.01 metres.

Ice won't climb over Greenland's coastal rocks. If there is any true
recollection behind the First Nations claim that the Hudson Bay Ice Dome
detached suddenly and rapidly cascaded into sea we will see it in GPS. Whether
there are 10, 200 or 5,000 prophets of all conventions, GPS will show who is
right and who is wrong and we can keep this matter in the realms of politics
and outside the remit of scientific debate.

One day I should preach our findings at TED conference what are the grievances
of the First Nations about the case history of ice age.

What are the worries of the 2012 hysteria at its more quality-end rather than
Roland Emmerlich's hoo-haa (instead of neutrinos, it was the solar radiation,
the prolonged and sustained global warming at the end of ice age destabilising
the ice sheets that started to afloat on their meltwaters, pushing tracts of
land into sea, isostatic rebounds from the ice sheet slides causing earthquakes
and huge volcanoes to blow up, sea throwing the huge waves and sea level rise
leading to sudden coastal Floods and subsequent intenste cooling of A Day After
Tomorrow.)

May be this is a cruel proposition. But I think it would be a fitting tribute
to the process that started as a political process to remain political. I
wonder if geoengineering could be made a functional realm of commercial remit
or political remit to get it done.

This only recalls in my mind the local governance in Russia who are paying for
Far Eastern Shipping Company (FESCO) to sail along coastal margin when winds
blow towards the warm sea areas and carry the loosened ice to areas of sea
where it melts away in a process they call "ice chipping". No one ever came to
ask them question to remove sea ice cover artificially this way, they just do
it as it delivers benefits.

Sometimes it might be possible to find a philantrophist or a corporate sponsor
that might do the project and ask not too many questions and opinions. Since
the CFC scare people are concerned of all athmospheric or sea water
modifications that might become irreversible, but as I have seen most
geoengineering are entirely reversible and can be turned off, or that the pilot
projects can be made small enough that any damage is not in any way substantial.

The issue with geoengineering is to tap into right philantrophists, corporate
sponsors, or political establishment who do not get bogged into infinite rounds
of reviews which planning process will sap all the energy before any actual
work in the field trials or facility running are in place.

There ought to be instances where research or operation may attract the funding
for execution your plans. Perhaps we geoengineers should discuss more at this
particular option and draw plans to try to get ahead also on this way to get
our dreams materialised.

Human mind is complex one and the patrons of climate change denialists know
that. Hacking of CRU computers create confusion and disorder, this destabilises
public confidence to the scientists and politicians and the commerce can do
selling polluting things and way of life as before. Professor Ian Plimer and
Daily Express who I have taken to the Press Complaint Commission claimed that
the athmosphere has had 1,000 times more carbon dioxide in the past
300,000-400,000 parts per million. Half a dozen Conservative break away
politicians immediately supported it. However, in my calculus the athomosphere
has O2 in concentrations of only 210,000 parts per million, so how come CO2 at
400,000 p.p.m.? The facts do not always matter, the sentiments do, if someone
tells us a lie we want, we tend to believe it even if it is total nonsense.

I wish, the First Nations old recollections would also be nonsense. My
sentiments and look at their details tells me the opposite. Time shows.

With kind regards,

Veli Albert Kallio, FRGS

Hawkins, Dave wrote: "Come on folks. There is no reason to dismiss the entire
scientific community as afraid to publish a paper due to concerns about
political correctness or impact on careers.  I don't buy this slur on an entire
profession."

Gorman, John wrote: "This is a case where the correct answer is that "there
isnt any peer reviewed reference because it wouldnt be politically correct to
say it and to do so would be to risk ones career" However the back of an
envelope  calculation  is simple; The area of sea ice  has halved in little
more than a decade. Whatever scenario one takes it will be gone in 30, 40, 50
years. Even with no further emissions from today the CO2 will stay at 380 and
the temperature in the Arctic will stay at 3 or 4 deg C above 50 years ago. The
sea ice will continue to melt. With any conceivable emissions limitation
scenario it will be gone much sooner."