David

A couple of papers that have studied the Si : N ratio and related
issues in the Gulf of Mexico are -

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?&artid=23704
Officer and Rhyther (22) suggested that a shift in the Si:N atomic
ratio from above 1:1 to below 1:1 would have two effects: altering the
marine food web by reducing the diatom-to-zooplankton-to-higher
trophic level food web, and increasing the proportion of flagellated
algae, including those that produce harmful algal blooms.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v368/n6472/abs/368619a0.html
The increases were substantial by 1980, by which time riverine
nitrogen loading had doubled relative to the beginning of the century,
even though the silica loading had declined by 50% over the same
period. Thus changes in river-borne nutrient loadings can modify
coastal food webs and affect the amount and distribution of oxygen in
bottom waters on the scale of continental shelves.

These indicate that reduction in silica : nitrogen ratio results in
lower diatom population and that this has a negative impact on the
ocean ecology.
The development of the Gulf of Mexico dead zone and change in Si : N
ratio over the past 50 years seem to be correlated.

The point we are trying to make is, Is the reverse true?
If Diatom population is increased will the tropic status of the water
change for the better?
No one seems to have studied this.

A blog post about dams - silica - diatoms - red tides is available at
http://friendsofsebago.blogspot.com/2009/12/silica-depletion-and-lake-regulation.html

best regards

Bhaskar
www.kadambari.net