Dear Ernie,

We carried out an iron addition experiment (SOFeX) with added silicic
acid and the diatom Pseudonitzschia spp. was thus able to flourish.
The added Si was unintentional and a result of the initial Fe
fertilization happening at a front which sheared the patch
horizontally which enabled vertical replenishment of the Si in a Si
limited region [Coale et al., 2004 and Coale et al., suppl. 2004].
Otherwise we probably would have got even more flagellates, the
majority group .  The bloom resulted in a 5 fold increase of DMS
(Wingenter et al., 2004).

Sincerely,

Oliver Wingenter