Thank you

A very comprehensive and informative document.

I would like to comment as follows -

The break up of the source of estimated 38,000 Billion tons of Carbon
in the oceans is not discussed.
Obviously Phytoplankton dying and sinking would not have alone been
responsible for all the carbon in the oceans, so what are the other
processes involved?

Has over fishing slowed the Carbon cycle in the oceans?

The decimation of the whale population in the first half of the 20th
century may have decreased the recycling of Iron and thereby slowed
down the Diatom bloom and carbon sequestration, this and other similar
issues have not been discussed.

Pg 1
"Because scientific studies to date have been short-term and of
relatively small scale, it is not yet known how iron-based ocean
fertilization might affect zooplankton, fish and seafloor biota..."

Pg 8
"As already indicated, fertilization experiments have been of
insufficient duration and spatial scale to reveal changes at higher
levels within the food chain. Thus any suggestions of either positive
or negative impacts on fish stocks remain speculative."

I agree that fertilization experiments should be conducted for a
longer duration to understand the impact on the food chain.

We have been fertilizing fresh water lakes with our Nano silica based
micro nutrient powder for past 5 years, with specific objective of
causing bloom of Diatoms. We have always got dominant bloom of Diatoms
and with very good results on Zooplankton, fish and control of
nuisance / harmful algae, obnoxious weeds and aquatic plants.

Pg 3

"For fishery enhancement

"Increases in ocean productivity following largescale ocean
fertilization might provide additional benefits from a human
perspective, since growth enhancement of fish stocks might result,
increasing the yield of exploitable fisheries. "

Our objective in use of the Nano Silica based Micro Nutrient was ONLY
to increase fisheries and we have always succeeded.

Pg 5, Box 2

"Iron  in seawater is mostly in an insoluble form which precipitates
and sinks out of the surface ocean rapidly."

We have solved this problem, Iron and other metals in our product are
stable in water for a very long time.

"Although Diatoms usually dominated species composition after iron
addition, ..."

The CBD report on the 13 Ocean Fertilization states that only 5 of the
13 experiments produced a dominant bloom of Diatoms.

Pg 12

"An additional factor, observed in other studies, was the rapid loss
(of up to 75%) of the added iron, by its precipitation and scavenging
onto particles before it could be utilized for phytoplankton growth.
Improved delivery mechanisms for iron, such as the use of chemical
complexing agents, could improve this efficiency, but with cost
implications."

We have used Nano Silica as the delivery vehicle to reduce loss and
improved efficiency.
Our process is cost effective for fisheries - use of Diatom Algae as a
source of food and oxygen,
so we believe that it would be cost effective for carbon sequestration
too.

best regards

Bhaskar
www.kadambari.net