Michael

The article says -

"As it remains dissolved the breakdown processes can lead to oxygen
shortages in the water column and associated ecological damage.

Saturday one of the Geoscience authors, University of Georgia Marine
Sciences Professor Samantha Joye told the American Association for the
Advancement of Science at their annual meeting that somehow the
methane breakdown, which skyrocketed to 60,000 times above normal
levels in the Gulf region now slowed down to just 30 times above
background levels – but not because the methane bubble was running
out.

Joye suggests another nutrient may have become a limiting factor to
the microbes."

Oxygen may be the limiting factor.

Bacteria require oxygen, Diatoms provide oxygen.
So causing Diatoms to bloom is the right solution.

regards

Bhaskar