Hi all,

The term "emergency situation" or a state of emergency can get things
going that otherwise wouldn't eventuate. Let's imagine for a moment
that the world did conclude that we're in an emergency situation. This
would have a huge impact on cost projections, in a number of ways.

As to capital cost, DAC may be run by the Department of Energy (DOE)
without a need for a return on investment. The fact that CO2 is
removed from the atmosphere is the goal, the "return on investment" so
to say, and this could be organized through regulation. As an example,
Europe plans to add an extra price to international flight from
January 1, 2012. So, let's imagine mandatory fees were imposed on
airfares, to could bring in $200/t CO2. This could finance DAC with
minimal overhead and on a budget-neutral basis.

Let's have another look at the costs. Without Return on Investments,
and while depreciating the cost of equipment over a longer term, say
25 years, capital costs could be restricted to less than $100/t CO2.

Operational costs could also be lower, and be restricted mainly to
maintenance, labor and chemicals (in this case, the DOE would fit
operations in with existing operations). Using an estimate of 90$/ton
CO2 captured would still keep the costs under $290/t captured.

As to power requirements, in a state of emergency, the number of wind
turbines would increase dramatically. Since wind blows mainly at
night, much wind energy is produced at times when there is little or
no demand for electricity on the grid. By operating mainly on off-peak
hours, DAC could use energy that might otherwise go to waste. If
energy for heating for DAC similarly came from renewables, cost
associated with power requirements may be minimal.

Finally, there's the cost of transport and sequestration. The
advantage of DAC is that it can be located at many places, so this
latter cost would be relatively low, while it could also be partly
avoided by industrial use of CO2, such as production of carbon fiber
(e.g. for EVs), use of CO2 in algae bags, etc. But even when
sequestered in old mines or other places, total cost of DAC run by the
DOE (in a state of emergency) could remain under $200/t CO2 captured,
if emergency measures were put in place, which would also avoid costly
litigation, rights-of-way issues, etc.

On the other hand, coal fired power plants would be worse off in such
a state of emergency. It would result in higher prices for emissions,
which would not help the case for carbon capture at power plants. Such
power plants cause the highest emissions, so the extra cost for the
energy they use locally will have to be incorporated in the cost of
capture, since the power needed for air capture at power plants would
come from the power plant. The cost of power produced at coal-fired
power plants currently doesn't take into account the
currently-externalized costs of coal, which a recent analysis puts at
some $345.3 billion. That would add close to 17.8¢/kWh to the price of
electricity produced from coal. By comparison, the average residential
price of electricity is 12¢/kWh.

In conclusion, DAC would make sense in the world that accepted the
need to urgently reduce atmospheric levels of carbon, since there are
only a few ways to achieve this. But even if the world doesn't accept
(yet) that we're in an emergency situation, it makes sense to be
prepared. Technologies such as DAC need time to be developed. In case
of emergencies, we may not have enough time for R&D, testing, checking
and organizing things.

Cheers!
Sam Carana