Hello Duncan:

I enjoyed reading through your very nice analysis of NETs over the
weekend. I agree with Oliver Tickell's comment that we need
"knowledge, not conjecture". I have been researching on the "wood
burial" idea which has even less research compared to many others.

We have a paper that is in review at Climatic Change, which brings
more information on wood burial's (we now call it Wood Harvest and
Storage or WHS) harvest potential, and more information is on the way
on cost and storage and other practical considerations. The abstract
of the paper is below. It is relevant to some key factors you
discussed in your report, including:

1. We use GtC, while you use GtCO2, so that the estimate of Zeng
(2008) of 10 GtC potential is really 37 GtC/y. However, that is just a
theoretical potential based on coarse wood production rate of all
world's forests. In this new paper (Zeng et al. 2011), we consider
many practical constraints including land use and conservation needs,
and we arrive at a range of 1-3 GtC/y (4-10 GtCO2/y).

2. This new paper also shows the area of forest needed in order to
accomplish these sequestration goals. At our low value of 1GtC/y, it
requires 800 Mha forest land with a (modest) harvest intensity of 1 tC/
ha/y, a much lower rate than typically assumed bioenergy crop harvest
rate. The amount of biomass (2Gt dry biomass)  involved is equivalent
to the current worldwide forest harvest. So this is definitely not
business-as-usual, but a leap for forestry.

3. The cost estimate of Zeng (2008) of $14/tCO2 was based on cost of
harvesting. If including storage (mostly in situ around harvest
landing site to minimize transportation cost), it will probably double
to $30/tCO2. Adding other unforseen cost, bearing in mind the
observation that real-world implementation often tends to be more
expensive, I'd wave my hand (before realistic demo project) to put
the cost at about $50/tCO2. I think this is actually what you used in
the cost/potential plot (Fig. 7).

4. I thought it's a bit unfair to apply environmental impact to wood
burial, while not to other methods. All these have major environmental
issues to consider, but my feeling is that sustainable forestry, we
actually know better how to do it right.

Best Regards!
-Ning Zeng

Ecological carbon sequestration via wood harvest and storage: An
assessment of its practical harvest potential

Ning Zeng, Anthony King, Ben Zaitchik, Stan Wullschleger, Jay Gregg,
Shaoqiang Wang, Dan Kirk-Davidoff

A carbon sequestration strategy has recently been proposed in which a
forest is sustainably managed to optimal carbon productivity, and a
fraction of the wood is selectively harvested and stored to prevent
decomposition. The forest serves as a ‘carbon scrubber’ or ‘carbon
remover’ that provides continuous sequestration (negative emissions).
The stored wood is a semi-permanent carbon sink, but also serves as a
‘biomass/bioenergy reserve’ that could be utilized in the future.
Earlier estimates of the theoretical potential of wood harvest and
storage (WHS) were 10 ± 5 GtC y-1.  Starting from this physical limit,
here we apply a number of practical constraints: (1) land not
available due to agriculture; (2) forest set aside as protected areas,
assuming 50% in the tropics and 20% in temperate and boreal forests;
(3) forests difficult to access due to steep terrain; (4) wood use for
other purposes such as timber and paper. This ‘top-down’ approach
yields a WHS potential 2.8 GtC y-1. Alternatively, a ‘bottom-up’
approach, assuming more efficient wood use without increasing harvest,
finds 0.1-0.5 GtC y-1 available for carbon sequestration. We suggest a
range of 1-3 GtC y-1 carbon sequestration potential if major
investment is made to expand managed forests and/or to increase
management intensity.
The implementation of such a scheme at our estimated lower value of 1
GtC y-1 would imply a doubling of the current world wood harvest rate.
This can be achieved by harvesting wood at a modest harvesting
intensity of 1.2 tC ha-1 y-1, over a forest area of 8 Mkm2 (800 Mha).
To achieve the higher value of 3 GtC y-1, forests need to be managed
this way on half of the world’s forested land, or on a smaller area
but with higher harvest intensity. We compare the potential of WHS
with a number of other carbon sequestration methods, and recommend WHS
be considered part of the portfolio of climate mitigation options.