Andrew

Thanks.

The evolution of fish ( increase in numbers and diversity ) and
evolution of diatoms is closely interlinked.

The earliest known fossil diatoms date from the early Jurassic (~185
Ma)

Kooistra, W. H. C. F.; Medlin, L. K. (1996). "Evolution of the diatoms
(Bacillariophyta) : IV. A reconstruction of their age from small
subunit rRNA coding regions and the fossil record". Mol. Phylogenet.
Evol. 6: 391–407.

sedimentary evidence suggests an earlier origin.

^ Schieber, J.; Krinsley, D.; Riciputi, L. (2000). "Diagenetic origin
of quartz silt in mudstones and implications for silica cycling".
Nature 406 (6799): 981–985. doi:10.1038/35023143. PMID 10984049.

Damming of rivers has also interfered with the silica cycle by
reducing flow of silt down rivers.

http://friendsofsebago.blogspot.in/

How Maine's Sea-Run Fish were Dammed into Oblivion: 1864.

Citation: Boardman, Samuel L. 'Aquaeculture': in Ninth Annual Report
of the Secretary of the Maine Board of Agriculture. 1864. Augusta,
Maine. Stevens & Sayward, Printers to the State. Also pub. in Maine
Farmer, March 23, 1865

"Everyone knows, too, that many of the species of fishes which remain
permanently in our fresh waters, have very much decreased in numbers,
as well as in size and fatness. People say that this is a necessary
consequence of the building of dams and mills, and filling the streams
with obstructions of various kinds for the industrial pursuits of a
civilized community."

Please note the year - 1864 / 1865

The Dependence of the Fishes on the Diatoms
Albert Mann.
Ecology, Vol. 2, No. 2 ( Apr., 1921 ), pp. 79-83
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1928919

“No diatoms, no hake”

"There is no better illustration in science of the practical value of
ecology than is afforded by the diatoms. The economic importance they
are now [1921] seen to have might have been understood fifty years
earlier [i.e, 1871] and some use might have been made of their value
during that period of time, if the inter-relation of these remarkable
plants with other forms of aquatic life had been prominent in the
minds of investigators. As it is, they remained for many years little
more than the playthings of microscopists, prized and wondered over
because of their astonishing beauty, collected at great expense by
enthusiastic amateurs, and illustrated in costly books, which may be
searched through in vain for any hint of their worth outside of that
belonging to their symmetry of form and striking loveliness of
design."

For the past 90 / 140 years Diatoms have been badly neglected, we are
trying to remedy the situation.

Another post on Friends of Sebago Bay blog -

http://friendsofsebago.blogspot.in/2010/11/fosl-letter-to-ferc-11-26-10.html

The restoration of Diatoms and Fish is a very important
Geoengineering / Bioengineering / Geobioengineering goal.

regards

Bhaskar
www.nualgi.com/new