There was a good study at WCRP which showed that much of the inter annual
variability is wind related, as ice is moved towards the Atlantic in
certain years.

I don't know if It's in print yet.

Veli has made this point before, and the modelling seems to support his
view.

This is worrying, as It's a non thermal process. SRM can't predictably
change the wind, so unless we can rapidly rebuild the ice to a continuous
mass, it will tend to get blown away when the winds dictate.